Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dad+Mom=?

You know how every child is in some way a combination of its parents? And I am not just talking about looks...I am talking about the personality. I guess along with their gene they also pass on their idiosyncrasies. So I was thinking, am I the Z to my parents' X and Y? And after careful analysis, I have come to the conclusion that I am nothing like them. If you are totally jobless then you can keep reading!

-> I am totally careless with money.

I am not spendthrift. There's a difference. I just don't know where my money is. Over the years, I have found money in places unimaginable. Wedged into the CD drive of my laptop, stashed away in small purses that I have millions of but have no idea about their whereabouts, pressed between books long forgotten - I have a knack. Appa, on the other hand, is an ultra-organized person who knows each and every note in his wallet - to the extent that when I once took out a 10 Dirham note from his wallet(with full intention of telling him later, really), he knew it was missing.

-> I do not study much.

Seriously I Don't. Of course, I study right before an exam. But people never believed me in school because of my marks(which were good at that time). Only my friends knew! In college, obviously people knew I didn't study...hostel after all! But my dad was, and still is a huge nerd. He has narrated stories of him studying under the streetlights when the power would go out for hours, coming state first in -some exam, I forgot :P -, studying his elder brother's notes as well as his own notes - I know, right!?! Well he tells these stories with the intention to inspire but I just end up thinking, "Wow...you are such a nerd" :P

-> I cannot cook.

Well I cannot cook well. I mean I know the bare minimum like toast, Maggi, tea and even those turn out to be burnt most of the time. But my parents are awesome at cooking. Amma can whip up a feast in a matter of minutes. And she has tried to teach me but I always dismiss her with an argument about how she wants me to learn cooking just because I am a girl, blah blah blah. Feminist statements FTW!

-> I suck at speaking any language other than English.

I am from Palakkad. So I speak Mallu-sounding Tamizh. Actually, I think it sounds quite okay. But my friends mistake me for a stand-up comedienne whenever I open my mouth and speak Tamizh. And when I speak Hindi, my friends think I sound like the female in this video. On the other hand, my mom speaks English, Tamizh, Hindi, Malayalam, Gujrati, Marathi and Punjabi with relative ease. Appa speaks English, Tamizh, Malayalam and limited Hindi(after every word he adds a 'Yaar'/'Bhai' which he pronounces as 'Bai').

A post longer than this is guaranteed boredom, so those of you who are still reading this line, thank you :)

4 comments:

Frog bomb said...

SO basically you are like Stewie who's nothing like Lois n Peter Griffin! Naaiiiccee :D

Gaya said...

Froggy!!! Since you referenced Family Guy, there's no doubt it's you! And thank you for comparing me to Stewie :D
Start a blog!!!

Divster said...

I call it the recessive gene, n let me tell you, ur not the only one. Even I got passed down the recessive traits.. tat r practically non-existant in my parents n bro.

It's almost as if, God went like.. how about I take none of these two.. and see what i come up wit :P

I have felt for ages, and still sometimes do..that I am an odd one out.. n don't exactly fit in the perfect family portrait..

But, words of wisdom..(obviously comin from experience).. it won't last long.. all the points u refer to, such as cooking, n handling money all come wit necessity! Only when the occasion asks for it, will you step it up!

N for tat matter, after reading ur blog, I feel like an awkward older twin :P So u kno tat I always got ur back! ;-)

Keep writing O witty one! U bring a burst of energy to the words tat is unlike any other I have come across.

Gaya said...

Thanks Divs :D And yes, I think as I grow up/grow old, I will start exhibiting responsibility :P