Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Idiocy at its best

I read Five Point Someone recently. I mean, of course I've read it before. After all, I'm studying in an engineering college, whose students deemed this book as "a must read for engineering students". It's been written by India's most "loved" author. I needed to read it because recently my results came out, and well, being a Seven Point Someone didn't seem so bad when I read about Ryan, Alok and Hari, as they're Five Point Someones. I'm not saying I like the book or its characters, but I do like the difference in the CGPAs. The fact that they're fictional doesn't matter to me, so ZIP IT!

A few days back, I watched the "movie version" of FPS, the much anticipated "3 idiots". Now, I don't know about you but I was dying to watch the movie. Come on, 44-year old Aamir Khan playing a 22-year old college-going, creative-thinking, gynecologist guy. Does it get any better than this!?! I liked the movie on the whole but the movie did have major flaws.


Pros
  • Ladakh. 'Nuff said.
  • Aamir. And he looked 22. Is he human or alien?
  • College Lingo. ViruS, millimetre, Silencer. Nice touch, added authenticity!
  • The song Zoobi Doobi. Very nicely shot and very cute lead pair :)
  • The message. The movie highlighted the fact that students are being burdened with impossible curriculum. It also highlighted the fact that those students who can mug better than others, can score better than others.

Cons

  • Boman Irani. His gigantic potential was wasted in this movie. ViruS cannot hold a candle to Asthana(Munnabhai M.B.B.S). Shame!
  • The fact that Aamir just assumed the identity of Jaaved Jaffrey and never got caught by the authorities/government. Shows that in India if you have money, you can do anything. Just flash the cash, baby.
  • Madhavan faked a heart attack to get of the plane and then they can't manage to hold him down in the airport. Oh, come on!
  • Gags in the movie that we've read a million times, courtesy e-mails.
  • The whole bit where Aamir plays gynaecologist. I was like WTF!

My final verdict is: watch it. In spite of many "idiotic" things that take place in the movie, it still leaves you with a smile on your face. I should mention here that though this movie was inspired by FPS, it did a much better job at capturing the youth. I think Chetan should quit fighting with Hirani for credit, because here's the truth buddy: Chetan should be giving Hirani credit ;)

3 comments:

Nevermind said...

Oh, I should watch it then?
I didn't want to because I didn't like the book. I mean, Five Point Someone was entertaining, but also very unrealistic, and in parts, quite dumb.

I might, however, watch the movie for Rajkumar Hirani's sake.

Nevermind said...

Also, I was expecting Amir Khan to look as out of place among college students as Sanjay Dutt did in Munnabhai. Did he seriously look 22?

Gaya said...

Hey!

Same pinch, man! I felt FPS was entertaining but like you said, dumb. Just like a Hindi movie :P

But Aamir does look 22. Really! With the 8-pack gone, he looks just like a college student.