Sunday, June 06, 2010

What I did Yesterday + A Review Of Singam

7:00 A.M.:
Dad(speaking at a volume so low that even bats wouldn't hear him): Wake up...Wake up...
Me: ZZZ
7:10 A.M.:
Dad: Wake up...Wake up...
Me: ZZZ
Mom comes into the room and in one swift motion pulls the blanket off my head.
Me(sitting bolt upright and screaming) : I'm awake I'm awake!
7:15 A.M.:
Me(still sleepy and nearly slurring): Zo why are allofus up so *yawn* early anyway?
Grandfather, Grandmother, Dad, Mom: In my day, if we slept till 7, we were reprimanded.
Me(talking to myself): Really?! In my day, we never even use the word "reprimanded"...

You see....I'm not really a morning person until I've had my tea/coffee.

7:20 A.M.(After Tea):
Dad: Get dressed. We're going for a movie.
Me: Wha..?!
Dad(proudly waving 6 tickets): We're watching Singam!
Me: *Groan*

You see....the last few Tamil movies that I watched caused me so much pain that I thought I was suffering from brain hemorrhage.
The last one I watched was Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya. I could bring myself to watch only half the movie.


The movie that I saw before VTV, was *sob sob* Villu. In the theatre. In Tirunelveli. After paying 70 Rupees for a ticket. Biggest. Mistake. Ever.


(P.S.: Click on the pictures...not clear enough this way...)

So you will agree that I had a good reason to be apprehensive. But no amount of reasoning could get me out of this.

8:15 A.M.:
The movie "Singam" starts.

8: 20 A.M.:
We enter the theatre. Late. By this time, Surya is bashing up men, men, and men. Oh, and also two women who are actually men but are dressed like women. Weird.

8: 25 A.M.:
We find our seats. Surya saves the day after beating the crap out of everybody.

In the movie, Surya is a gunda-beating, khakhi chattai-loving Sub Inspector. The movie is pretty much like any other movie after that. Surya beats everyone. Surya meets girl. Girl likes Surya. Surya likes girl. Surya beats everyone. Surya hates Prakash Raj, who is a don. Prakash Raj hates Surya. Surya beats everyone.

By the interval, we knew what Surya had to accomplish. Two major things:
1) Marry the girl.
2) Beat up Prakash Raj

The funny thing is, though it was predictable, I liked the movie. Vivekh's comedy was funny at places, but there was the ever-present glitch that all Tamil movies have when it comes to comedy; the movie and the comedy scenes weren't related. I've always thought they shoot the comedy track separately and just merge them with the movie at any point of time. Hmmm.

Surya was hot. No, wait. Surya was HAWT. He has acted pretty well and I liked him much more in this movie, when compared to Ayan. The heroine, Anushka, was fine. She did act(surprisingly) and she didn't look all that bad. Her character in the movie was a pretty strong one, which is what I liked. She was modern, unabashed and open about her feelings. And she even dressed up as a lion at one point in the film. Prakash Raj was good, as usual. But I'm really getting tired of seeing him in these "Don" roles. He is getting stereotyped. And that's bad, because he is an actor of great calibre.

The songs were horrible. At one point I thought my ears would start sprouting out blood. The lyrics for one of the rap sequences(background music) actually went like this :

You cannot stop him, yo!
He is the human Bolero!

The fight sequences were total crap. What really bothered me was everyone time a fight sequence would start, Surya would actually morph into a lion(singam). It was just for a second or two, but it was pretty dumb.

On the whole, the movie was fine. Not bad, not great. But loads better than any other Tamil movie I've seen for a LONG time.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Gaya!! Good ones lol. i knew its you :) Good reviews

Unknown said...

i found you out by your way of narrating. it was jus as if i'm sitting near u and you are telling me. C'mon i know how u talk :) !!!!

Gaya said...

Haha thanks :D and welcome to my blog ;) read and enjoy :)

Azeeza Khan said...

I'm not sure how this thing works but I'm bored and came across your blog on FB. And I'm not sure if you'll get this comment.
First of all, excellent blog Gaya. Miss the days when we used to write to YoungTimes.
Anyway, I just finished watching Singam. I felt sick half an hour into the movie. Maybe it was the chicken, but I'm pretty sure it was the lead actress's desire to get married, settle down, cook for her lovely husband and do nothing else. The quality of Tamil cinema is quickly going down the drain. It was fine by us to watch stupid Rajneekanth movies once every 2 years because the rest of the movies released were sensible. Watching no-brainers like Muthu, Padyappa, Arunachalum were good breaks. But since the turn of the 21st century, I feel greatly let down with the constant hero-worshipping crap that has been fed to us.
With Singam, I lost my respect for Surya. (Ok, it wasn't respect. It was the hawts). Why can't he just stick to soul-searching (or was the word "soulful"? I'm bad with words)movies like Pithamagan? I'm sick of watching movies like Bheema (Ending was awesome, Trisha dies!), Aadhavan, Run, Rendu, Aaru, Moonu, Anjju(I'm guessing they are on a numbers spree). I'm sick of Vijay's movies named after different cities in Tamil Nadu and with little change to the storyline. I wanted to drop my laptop out the window having wasted 5 hours of my life watching Varanam Aayiram. The extra hour was because I kept rewinding the bit where Surya walks down the lane wearing his uniform. But the point is, all his movies are about this really irritating over-achieving boy, who seems to do nothing wrong. I want to watch a movie where the heroine doesn't hang her tongue and wag her tail for the hero, a movie where the hero makes mistakes, a movie where the parents aren't honorable members of society, and a movie which finishes in an hour and a half. I want to watch a movie where I go: "Oh, I didn't see that coming!"
I want another Autograph.
And also Gaya, what kind of family goes to the movies at friggin 7 in the morning????
It's 12:47 a.m. here in Melbourne, and as you can see, I'm bored. Now I'm going to start watching Taal and control the impulse to throw things at Aishwarya (BTW Raavanan sucked! Prithviraj looked like he was venturing into the forests in search of his older sister. Disturbing combo.)What does a bolero mean?

Anne Blythe said...

I dont watch Tamil movies as u know and I still cudnt stop reading ...says a lot :) :) ...and hey u know the tamil translation of bolero?? ..wat does it even mean ??

Gaya said...

@azi: wow. Longest comment ever :D thanks and do keep reading...i need comments like yours ;)
yeah the girl was irritating in the context that she wanted to be the perfect housewife,,but atleast she said "i love you" first...she didn't play hard to get...she just threw herself at him..that's all...sigh what morals!
I haven't watched Vaaranam Aayiram because I knew that the only scene worth watching would be the one with the uniform. That you can find on YouTube :)
I totally agree with you on the hero-worship part. That word has literally been embodied by Vijay. And all other actors are follwing suit.
And yes, my dad was the one who bought the tickets. He keeps saying "Early to bed, early to rise, blah blah healthy, wealthy and wise". Seriously...wise? Going for a movie at 8 A.M. Is that wise?
I ain't watching Raavanan..heard so many horrible things about it. And why are you watching Taal? However, it's better than watching Singam or Pokkiri.
And Bolero is an SUV.

Gaya said...

@shreddy: welcome to my blog :) and thanks for reading abt a tamil movie :) Bolero is an SUV, man...it's a car :)

Aswin said...

You might've really hated SINGAM-II a lot :)