Monday, October 03, 2011

Life Relearned in Bangalore

You might have guessed by now that I am a software engineer. Which means I stay in Bangalore. It has been 3 months since I landed here and I have learned a few things, mostly useless ones, about this place.


  1. You know how a footpath says to you, "Come hither, pedestrian! Thou shall be safe with me."? Well, in Bangalore it says "GET OFF!!! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!" because motor cycles, bikes and pretty much anything with two wheels+enough  horsepower to kill you will share the footpath with you. So you're safer walking on the road. The traffic never moves here anyways.

  2. Auto drivers are extremely talkative here. This one driver looked at the poster of the movie Force and asked me if John Abraham goes to the gym regularly. Another one asked me if I was on Facebook, where I was from, which area in Chennai, my flat number, and which flat from the adjacent building provided a clear view of me sleeping. Well not the last one, but you get the idea.

  3. The South Indian fare here is extremely different from Tamilian food. For one thing, their sambar can easily be confused with a sweet dish. The different kinds of chutneys available here are white, white, and white. Did I mention white? And their dosas are minuscule. I could pack two of those in a single Ghee Roast from Saravana Bhavan.
    P.S.: Did you know that dosas were invented in Karnataka? Well if they invented it, Tamil Nadu made it better.

  4. My call register has only one number: Amma. My greetings have changed from "Hi" to:
    • How do you make sambar rice?
    • Are you sure I cannot put potato in this also?
    • It tastes horrible, Amma!

  5. Wherever I go, I increase the AQ(Aunty Quotient) of that place. Because the girls here are extremely hot. I myself cannot stop staring so I cannot blame the male population of Bangalore for being open-mouthed most of the time.
    P.S.: Recently when I was on the train, there was one kid in my compartment. His finger was permanently stuck in his nose. And then he comes up to me, keeps his hand on my dress and calls me Aunty. I stopped myself from throwing him off the train.

  6. Although I love stepping into puddles, I have stopped doing that with the puddle right in front of my building. The owner downstairs has a dog. And that puddle, I realized, might not be water.

12 comments:

Hariharan said...

Now you can't blame me for my post, aunty!! :P

Gaya said...

Never blamed you :P Just said you wanted to be one of those guys, that's all, uncle ;)

Divster said...

lol.. I always welcome a dose of PON(Pursuit of Normalcy) in my otherwise 'normal' life :-)

btw.. Bangalore sounds terrible! Any mention about Kannada movies? Im interested.. :-D

Gaya said...

Divster: Thank you thank you :D

And abt Bangalore....it's ok, but nothing like Chennai man! And Kandu movies...the lesser said, the better! And their songs are just terrible!

Anonymous said...

hehe...gaya, u sound utterly disgusted by b'lore, xcept de hot chicks part ofcourse...nd i cant imagine U cuking. Do u really cook???

Gaya said...

@Pri: No no Blore not that bad also...just missing Chennai :D And yes...I cook...quite well, if may I add :P

Hariharan said...

No uncles please! :D

Btw you cook eh? Do you cater? :P

Gaya said...

Haha Hari yes I do cook :D Catering possible, if you pay me :P

Saras said...

Hilarious post Gaya.. I could almost imagine you saying all that:)

Gaya said...

Thanks Saras :D Yeah almost everyone thinks I write the way I speak :)

Unknown said...

ha ha . your writing style is good

Gaya said...

Thanks newlooklaserclinic :)