Tuesday, July 06, 2010

R.I.P. M.J.


A little over a year ago, the King of Pop, the ultimate entertainer, the philanthropist and the benevolent human being , Michael Jackson passed away.

When I woke up on June 26Th, 2009, my grandmother came to me and said "I didn't want to tell you the moment you woke up, but Michael Jackson is dead". It's incredible how my grandmother who doesn't even listen to English music, knew who Michael was.

I was not a very big fan but I did like his music. And I know I'm probably a few days too late to pay him a tribute, but I'd like to try! So here's a list of my favorite Michael Jackson songs. Some obvious ones, but all amazing ones.

-> Thriller

An obvious one. I love Thriller. I first heard this song in the film '13 going on 30'. I've never met anyone who doesn't like this song. And the music video is just epic. You can watch it here.

Note: There was a Telugu version of Thriller. It was horrible...horribly funny after being subtitled by Buffalax(of Benny Lava fame). You can watch it here. Don't tell me I didn't warn you :)

-> They don't care about us

This song is brilliant. Just brilliant. I mean, with a song so controversial, MJ actually tried to unite people against racism.

-> Remember the time

I love this song. Seriously, of all the songs that MJ has sung, this one is my favorite. The music video consisted of various wizards trying to entertain the Pharaoh(Eddie Murphy) and his Queen(Iman). When it's Michael's turn, he starts singing to the Queen asking if she remembers their time together. The music video was actually marketed as a 9-minute short film.

-> Pretty Young Thing

This song was released in 1982. JabbaWockeez danced to this song in 2008. I watched the JabbaWockeez video in 2010. And 28 years after this song was released, it still managed to hook me onto it. I could not stop listening to it for 2 days straight!

-> Smooth Criminal

I love it. It's fast-paced and I'm not sure if I'm right, but it was the first time anyone in the world saw an anti-gravity lean.

-> Beat It

What an amazing song. And the video is awesome too. Michael brings two rival gangs together through dance.

MJ was an amazing artist. He gave the world of music so much. He really was the King of Pop.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember "they don't really care about us" as being the first song I ever fell in love with.. I think I heard it when I was in first grade.. You never get over some of the songs

Gaya said...

Soooo true annie! I can still sing along with the song...the lyrics are etched in my mind :)